- Have a monthly neighborhood event where your community does a service project, fundraiser, or donates items for refugee assistance.
- Write letters to asylum detainees.
- Contact your political representatives to advocate for refugees
- Advocate at a local level for refugees.
- Ask your local community leaders how you can help
- Organize a fundraiser or benefit concert in your community where the proceeds go toward refugee assistance.
- For Arabic practice, use natakallam.com to improve your language skills by speaking with Syrian refugees
- Learn another language or improve your current language skills and find ways to use the language to help other people.
- Get certified in ESL and volunteer at local schools to help children who are learning English.
- Volunteer with employment agencies
- Contact your local schools to see if there is any way you can assist with children who don’t speak English as a first language
- Plan an event for World Refugee Day on June 20th to raise awareness
- Shop at small businesses run by refugees or immigrants
- Take a stand against intolerance.
- Ask questions to learn what is really needed.
- Volunteer as a coach for community-based sports.
- Contact low-income health clinics for ideas.
- Ask community centers if you can help.
If working with an agency isn't a good option, there are many other things you can do: